Would you like to work for the most esteemed, reputable, and established in-house research organization in the U.S. Intelligence Community? If so, let’s talk!
NSA employs scientists with world-class skills in fields such as mathematics, physics, computer science, engineering, and cybersecurity. We collaborate with leading companies, universities, and national laboratories to leverage work in overlapping disciplines, advance core capabilities, and seek out and develop revolutionary ideas that will provide our nation with an overwhelming advantage over our adversaries.
At the Laboratory for Physical Sciences (LPS), you will have incredible opportunities with high visibility to work on investigating and designing large-scale high performance computing systems, focusing on computer architectures, processing/memory subsystems, and transforming computing beyond Moore’s Law. You will be a part of a multi-disciplinary team of physicists, engineers, computer scientists, and systems architects that challenge you to make impacts that others have yet to attain.
We’re looking for talented SYSTEM AND SOFTWARE ARCHITECTS that have the technical skills and expertise to collaborate on framework design and implementation of complex software and hardware systems. Highly desired individuals will have fluency in C++ and Python, with added knowledge of physics and/or mathematics.
As a valued member of the LPS team that creates and manages cutting edge quantum computing research programs, you will:
– Guide the development of hardware and/or software of future computing technologies;
– Design and develop novel hardware and/or software system architectures that include early or exploratory technologies;
– Maintain and evolve these architectures by reviewing and introducing changes based on project requirements and academic or industry advances;
– Leverage emerging technologies and standards, and collaborate with vendors and partners to evaluate and incorporate offerings, when appropriate;
– Identify, manage, and actively reduce risks; measure progress across various efforts, maximize reuse of previous efforts, and manage highly dynamic architectures;
– Evaluate, test, and validate design, implementation, enhancement, and deployment of debugging tools; evaluate technical architectures;
– Support stakeholders in setting up problems, running systems, and analyzing results.
Want to be a part of an elite team where your work has a global impact by developing revolutionary ideas that will provide our nation with an overwhelming advantage? We have an opportunity for you!
As a System and Software Architect at NSA, the creativity of you and your team is essential to design effective solutions for internal and Agency-supported customers around the world. Your efforts will drive global impacts that may include: saving lives of U.S. and ally soldiers; providing U.S. policy and decision makers with critical, timely intelligence; ensuring the continued safety of U.S. citizens and residents by thwarting foreign adversaries; and defending vital networks.
The qualifications listed are the minimum acceptable to be considered for the position.
Degree must be in professional Engineering, Physics or Astronomy from an accredited college or university, or a relevant professional technical field (e.g. chemistry, architecture, computer science, mathematics, hydrology, geology).
For all of the above degrees, if program is not ABET EAC accredited, it must include specified coursework.*
*Specified coursework includes courses in differential and integral calculus and 5 of the following 18 areas: (a) statics or dynamics, (b) strength of materials/stress-strain relationships, (c) fluid mechanics, hydraulics, (d) thermodynamics, (e) electromagnetic fields, (f) nature and properties of materials/relating particle and aggregate structure to properties, (g) solid state electronics, (h) microprocessor applications, (i), computer systems, (j) signal processing, (k) digital design, (l) systems and control theory, (m) circuits or generalized circuits, (n) communication systems, (o) power systems, (p) computer networks, (q) software development, (r) Any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics, such as optics, heat transfer, or soil mechanics.
Relevant experience must be performing professional engineering or physical sciences work and/or conducting academic or independent research in a technical field (e.g., mathematics, engineering, cognitive sciences and physical sciences). Experience on polymath projects (requiring multiple skills), technical publications, patent applications, and teaching are preferred.
With a degree in professional Engineering, entry is with a Bachelor’s degree plus 3 years of relevant experience, or a Master’s degree plus 1 year of relevant experience, or a Doctoral degree and no experience. With a degree in Physics or Astronomy or a relevant professional technical field entry is with a Bachelor’s degree plus 3 years of relevant experience, or a Master’s or Doctoral degree plus 1 year of relevant experience.
Entry is with a Bachelor’s degree plus 7 years of relevant experience, or a Master’s degree plus 5 years of relevant experience, or a Doctoral degree plus 3 years of relevant experience. Degree must be in professional Engineering, Physics or Astronomy, or a relevant professional technical field.
Entry is a Bachelor’s degree plus 10 years of relevant experience, or a Master’s degree plus 8 years of relevant experience, or a Doctoral degree plus 6 years of relevant experience. Degree must be in professional Engineering, Physics or Astronomy, or a relevant professional technical field.
Excellent problem-solving, communication, and interpersonal skills to:
– Demonstrate expertise in computer architecture and complex systems design;
– Operate with minimal oversight and be completely comfortable navigating various Systems Architecture and Engineering Protocols;
– Design and implement short- and long-term strategic goals for designing, developing, managing and maintaining systems hardware and/or software, ensuring performance, security, scalability, maintainability, and reliability;
– Create and maintain hardware and/or software system architecture designs using standard methodologies;
– Collaborate with technical leads and developers on component detailed plans and technical specifications to ensure alignment with overall solution designs;
– Advance systems, and system components, through technology maturity levels from basic research to fully functional;
– Ensure planned and in-place system hardware and/or software architectures align with mission goals;
– Offer technical expertise and architectural guidance and assistance to program personnel including Engineers and Scientists;
– Develop, create, and monitor the implementation of end-to-end integrated systems;
– Review new and existing system designs and make recommendations for improving or altering the systems;
– Balance and focus development of systems and maintenance as requirements change.
– Computing (hardware and software), data infrastructures, and interconnect solutions;
– High performance computing systems;
– Hardware and/or software architecture;
– Integration of novel technologies in real-time environments and workflows;
– Approach to designing and developing solution architectures that adhere to program and mission requirements;
– Technology management, testing, installation, and system maintenance;
– Consulting/tasking outside organizations to resolve system problems;
– Technical problem solving and design;
– Requirements analysis;
– C/C++, Python, High Performance Computing, both Linux-based as well as Windows systems, heterogeneous systems and co-processors (e.g. GPUs or FPGAs), systems programming.
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
Salary offers are based on candidates’ education level and years of experience relevant to the position and also take into account information provided by the hiring manager/organization regarding the work level for the position.
Salary ranges vary by location and work level. This position is hiring for Maryland.
Salary Range: $86,389 – $176,300 (Full Performance, Senior, Expert).
Cross-organizational mentoring is highly encouraged and readily available for all employees. Training is available through: continuing education classes provided by our internal school, vendor training, and a variety of tuition assistance programs. You can also take advantage of work assignment or travel opportunities, both stateside and abroad, or direct engagements with other Intelligence Community agencies.
As Federal employees, job security is unmatched. In addition, our employees enjoy: relocation assistance, flexible work schedules, generous leave programs, free onsite fitness centers at many locations, available paid personal fitness time within your normal work schedule, flexible health and life insurance, Federal retirement pension, matching employee retirement contributions to the Federal Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) for up to 5% of salary, and competitive pay.
The typical work schedule is Monday – Friday, with basic 8hr/day work requirements between 0600 to 1800 hrs (flexible).
How to apply
U.S. Citizenship is required for all applicants. NSA is an equal opportunity employer and abides by applicable employment laws and regulations. All applicants and employees are subject to random drug testing in accordance with Executive Order 12564. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a security background investigation and polygraph.
Due to time sensitive communications regarding your application, please ensure your spam filters are configured to accept email from [email protected] Please review the job posting thoroughly to ensure you meet the described qualifications and are aware of all associated requirements. To apply for this position, please click the ‘Apply’ button located at the top right of this posting. After completing the application for the first time, or reviewing previously entered information, and clicking the ‘Submit’ button, you will receive a confirmation email. We encourage you to apply as soon as possible, as job postings could close earlier than the closing date due to sufficient number of applicants, or the position is no longer available. You may be asked a series of questions depending on the position you apply for. Your responses will be used as part of the application screening process and will assist in determining your eligibility for the position. Be sure to showcase within your resume those experiences relevant to this position. Failure to provide the required information or providing inaccurate information will result in your application not being considered for this position. Only those applicants who meet all position qualifications, may be contacted to begin employment processing. Please remain diligent in monitoring email and your SPAM folder. Reasonable accommodations may be provided to applicants with disabilities during the application and hiring process where appropriate. Please visit our Diversity link for more information.
This position is a Defense Civilian Intelligence Personnel System (DCIPS) position in the Excepted Service under 10 U.S.C. 1601. DoD Components with DCIPS positions apply Veterans’ Preference to eligible candidates as defined by Section 2108 of Title 5 USC, in accordance with the procedures provided in DoD Instruction 1400.25, Volume 2005, DCIPS Employment and Placement. If you are a veteran claiming veterans’ preference, as defined by Section 2108 of Title 5 U.S.C., you may be asked to submit documents verifying your eligibility.
The National Security Agency (NSA) is part of the DoD Intelligence Community Defense Civilian Intelligence Personnel System (DCIPS). All positions in the NSA are in the Excepted Services under 10 United States Codes (USC) 1601 appointment authority.
Senior DevOps Engineer At Ascyndent we believe Digital transformation is all about leveraging information and technology to enhance the human...Apply For This Job
Are you passionate about software development? Do you like significant challenges? Do you want to help the biggest & most...Apply For This Job
HealthLynked is looking for a Software Engineer / Web Developer to work at our office in Naples, FL. In this...Apply For This Job
Job Description When you join Developer Software Engineering, you’ll be part of an Intel team that develops state-of-the-art tools such...Apply For This Job
Job Description Lionheart Games is looking for an experienced Backend Software Engineer with a strong desire to contribute to every...Apply For This Job
We are looking for a passionate Software Engineer to design, develop and install software solutions. Software Engineer responsibilities include gathering...Apply For This Job